At least 127 people have been reported dead following a soccer match in Indonesia, according to police. The Kanjuruhan soccer stadium

According to police, at least 127 people were killed and 200 were injured after chaos and violence erupted late Saturday following an Indonesian league soccer match between two of the country's biggest teams.

Arema FC and rival Persebaya Surabaya supporters clashed after home team Arema FC was defeated 3-2 in a match in the East Java city of Malang.

At least 127 people have been reported dead following a soccer match in Indonesia, according to police. The Kanjuruhan soccer stadium

Supporters of the losing team "invaded" the pitch, prompting police to fire tear gas, resulting in a stampede and cases of suffocation, according to East Java police chief Nico Afinta during a press conference following the event.

"First and foremost, there was a riot," Nico explained.

"So far, 127 people have died as a result of Saturday's incident, including two police officers," he said. He also stated that nearly 200 people were injured.

Videos posted on social media late at night from inside the stadium showed fans dressed in red and blue storming the field and clashing with Indonesian security forces, who appeared to be wearing riot gear.

According to Reuters, video footage broadcast on local news channels included images of body bags.

Later in videos, smoke that appeared to be tear gas was seen, with several people being carried into a building. The extent of their injuries was unknown. According to officials, many people were admitted to nearby hospitals due to "lack of oxygen and shortness of breath."

According to Nico, after Arema FC lost 2-3 to Persebaya Surabaya, their supporters stormed onto the field in protest.

'Tarnishing Indonesian football's reputation'

The Kanjuruhan Stadium, located in East Java, is mostly used for soccer matches and can hold up to 42,500 people.

While officials have yet to confirm how many people were in attendance at the stadium during Saturday's late night game, video footage and photographs taken by fans showed packed stands.

There have been previous outbreaks of trouble at matches in Indonesia, with fierce rivalry between clubs occasionally leading to violence among fans.

As a result of the deadly tragedy, the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) has suspended matches for next week and barred Arema FC from hosting games for the rest of the season.

"PSSI regrets Aremania supporters' actions at Kanjuruhan Stadium," the association's chairman, Mochamad Iriawan, said in a statement released on Sunday.

He went on to say that the incident had "tarnished the face of Indonesian football," and that they were cooperating with official investigations into the incident.

"We regret the incident and apologize to the families of the victims and all parties," he said.

"As a result, PSSI immediately formed an investigation team and left for Malang," he added.

CNN requested a statement from FIFA, soccer's international governing body, but did not receive one right away.

"Persebaya's big family expresses their deepest condolences for the loss of life following the Arema FC vs. Persebaya match," the club said in a statement. "No life is worth sacrificing for football."

"Alfatihah for the victims, and may the families left behind find strength."

The Indonesian police's handling of the incident is drawing criticism. Indonesian Police Watch (IPW) issued a statement on Sunday calling for accountability and the "removal" of Malang Police Chief Ferli Hidayat. "This is the most heinous event in Indonesian soccer history." The police chief should be ashamed and resign, according to IPW.

"The death toll must be thoroughly investigated, and President Jokowi must pay close attention," the statement continued.